Mold Remediation Process
Northeast Remediation has a large amount of experience in dealing with mold remediation in homes. While mold is not as regulated as lead and there is no required license necessary to perform the work, it is always best to hire an individual who is knowledgeable and understands the dangers of mold. If remediated incorrectly and without the proper equipment, additional spores can be released into the air, actually worsening the situation.
Exposure to mold can be extremely dangerous, depending on the type of mold found. Not only can it be detrimental to your health, but should mold continue to colonize and grow, the surrounding areas in the home can become completely destroyed. Early detection is critical in preventing a small mold problem from becoming a large one.
There are a number of treatments available when dealing with mold remediation. Depending on the location of the mold and the size of the area affected, the methodology chosen can vary.
- Misting – An EPA approved mold killing agent will be misted throughout the area to kill any airborne mold spores
- De-containment barrier – A containment solution that is constructed using 6 mil poly-urethane sheeting to prevent contamination to outside areas
- Charcoal Activated/HEPA Filtered Air Scrubber – A machine that HEPA filters the air for 99.99% of all particulates and removes any airborne mold spores. Allowing the machine to run 24 hours after the removal of mold will allow the entire room’s air supply to be filtered through a minimum of 5 times to assure no remnants of mold spores in the environment
- Wire brush and Sanding – Aggressive removal of visible mold
- Removal and Dispose – Removal of contaminated materials that do not affect structural stability of building and dispose of contaminated materials in double layered sealed 6 mil poly-urethane bags
- Scrubbing – Cleaning of area after wire brushing and sanding is completed
- Dry Ice Blasting– For blasting uses, dry ice is manufactured in pellets. When the pellets strike the surface to be cleaned, the velocity of the pellets strikes the substance to be removed creating abrasion. The substance is then lifted and a fine dust of wood and dead mold spores is created. The dust is then cleaned up through a hepa- vacuum system
- HEPA Vacuuming – Vacuuming of area using a high-efficiency particulate air filter